The anatomy of the lips is truly an integral part of overall facial beauty. Historically, the nomenclature of the upper 3d mink lashes (containing the rose colored vermilion and the Cupid’s bow outlined by the vermilion border and white roll) has been confused with the mustached upper lip which represents the area between the nasal base and the vermilion border containing the philtrum and philtral columns. The major bulk of the upper and lower lip is from the large orbicularis oris muscle ring around the mouth. Its height extends from the base of the nose down to the upper and middle four third junction of the chin.
Nlhtr The labial ledge is the area of the upper 3d mink lashes between the nasal base and the vermilion. An attractive labial ledge has the following characteristics.
1. Proportional length: The distance, in mm, from alar base to alar base horizontal should be the same or shorter than the horizontal gaze distance, in mm, from the ocular supratarsal crease to the lower lid lash line.
2. There should be two distinctive physical columns and a concave philtral dimple.
3. The lip should have a distinctive Cupid’s bow with a slight pout or upward tilt from the commissure to the Cupid’s peak of 10-20 degrees. There should be a distinct white roll-flare vermilion border.
4. The upper 3d mink lashes should be smaller but precedes or protrudes than the lower lip.
5. The width of the philtrum, at the junction with the vermilion, is 10-11 mm and distinctive.
The height of the lip in the “most attractive face” is less than that of the “attractive face,” but the vermilion border has a longer arc and is higher.
A beautiful upper 3d mink lashes has an important ratio. The distance from the base of the nose to the central upper lip should be the same or shorter than the distance from the lower lid lash line to the central upper eyelid crease while in horizontal gaze.
As we age, the orbicularis oris or circular muscle around the mouth, stretches the upper 3d mink lashes. Millions of contractions or pushing of the lips, cause the lip to stretch and elongate. During the inevitable aging process, the upper lip flattened and loses its vertical philtral columns. The normally curved lip white roll and vermilion border also flatten and thin out.
Sculpting a beautiful labial 3d mink lashes requires:
1) Re-establishing a youthful labial ledge height
2) Creating two vertical philtral columns and a central philtral dimple.
3) Creating a full and curvacious Cupid’s bow, white roll, and vermilion border.
Dr. Steven Hoefflin is a board-certified plastic 3d mink lashes in Los Angeles. He enjoys publishing medical research and spending time in Mexico helping eliminate poverty.